About Council & Mayoral Elections
The Coralville City Council is made up of five Council members who serve overlapping four-year terms. The Mayor, who is not a member of the Council, is elected for a two-year term. These non-partisan, at-large positions are elected by Coralville citizens.
Learn more: City Council and Mayor.
Who Is In Charge of Elections?
The Johnson County Auditor’s Office handles candidate filing and elections (see "Candidate & Voter Resources" and "Running for Office" below). For all election and voting information, see the Johnson County Auditor Elections website.
The next scheduled election for Coralville City offices will be in 2023.
The 2021 City Election was November 2, 2021. The office of Mayor and three City Council positions were on the ballot. Terms began January 1, 2022.
Mayor (two-year term)
- Meghann Foster
City Council (three to be elected; four year terms)
- Laurie Goodrich
- Hai Huynh
- Mike Knudson
- Election information (voter registration, absentee ballots, where to vote, and election calendar)
- City Council documents (agendas, minutes, videos, and work session notes)
Elections are managed by the Johnson County Auditor’s Office.
Early voting information and absentee ballot information is available from the Johnson County Auditor. See the Johnson County Auditor website.
Election Day voting information is available from the Johnson County Auditor. See the Johnson County Auditor website.
For voter registration deadlines, early voting information, and polling places:
- Visit www.johnsoncountyiowa.gov/auditor/elections.
- Call the Johnson County Auditor’s office at 319.356.6004.
- Email email@example.com.
Questions regarding the election may be directed to the Johnson County Auditor’s Office at 319.356.6004 or City Clerk Thor Johnson at 319.248.1700.
How to Run for Public Office
People wishing to run for city office may get nomination papers (Affidavit of Candidacy and Nomination Petition) and a Candidate's Guide at:
- Johnson County Auditor's office, 913 S. Dubuque St., Iowa City (by appointment only; call 319.356.6004 or email firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Secretary of State website
The City of Coralville’s nomination process is by petition, with only one election. Candidates are required to have a minimum of 25 signatures of registered voters residing in Coralville on their petitions.
Filing Nomination Papers
- Candidates may begin collecting signatures at any time.
- Nomination papers must include the Affidavit of Candidacy and the Nomination Petition, and cannot be accepted before the filing period begins or after 5:00 pm on the last day nomination papers can be filed.