Late Payments & Adjustments

Do you need help paying rent or utility bills due to COVID-19?

Residential Renters in Coralville May Be Eligible

Rental households in Coralville that have been impacted by COVID-19 may be eligible for assistance paying utility bills or rent through the Iowa Rent and Utility Assistance Program, which is a state program, opening in March 2021.

Learn about the state program, request more time to pay your City utility bill, or fill out a form to request your City utility bill late fees to be suspended and avoid your water being shut off: Get utility bill help
Collection Procedure
If you plan to be away during the billing period, please make arrangements with someone to send in your utility payment, sign up for our convenient automatic bank payment, or pay online.

Late Payments
If a bill is unpaid 22 days after the bill date:
  • Fees: A late fee will be added to the balance due.
  • Notice: A delinquent notice is sent to the account holder. When the account holder is a tenant, the owner will also receive a copy of the tenant's delinquent notice.
  • Payment: Cash, check, credit card, or money order accepted.
If a bill remains unpaid 33 days after the bill date:
  • Fees: A delivery charge of $20 is added to the balance due.
  • NoticeA green shut-off notice is placed on the door of the property advising the occupant of the unpaid balance due.
  • How to Pay: Full payment of the delinquent utility bill, including the $20 delivery charge, must be received at City Hall by 5:00 pm no later than 35 days from the time the bill was mailed out to avoid further collection procedures.
  • Payment: Cash, credit card, or money order accepted.
If a bill is still unpaid 36 days after the bill date:
  • Service: Water service will be discontinued.
  • Fees: A reconnection fee of $45 will be charged for reconnection from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm, Monday - Friday; and $75 from 3:30 pm to 7:30 am on weekdays, all day weekends, and all day holidays.
  • How to Pay: The reconnection fee plus the delinquent utility bill must be paid at City Hall before service is restored.
  • Payment: Cash, credit card, or money order accepted.
Bill Adjustments
A bill adjustment to a utility account will be made when it is discovered that an account holder has been incorrectly billed for waterwastewater (sewer), or solid waste (garbage / recycling) and stormwater services. Call the Utility Billing department at 319.248.1715 for any claims or questions.