Rental Housing Inspections during COVID-19
Inspections Resume July 1, 2020
The City of Coralville is committed to ensuring quality housing standards are met throughout the community. Effective July 1, 2020, Coralville will resume its rental inspection program while practicing COVID-19 guidelines. Our goal is to provide interior and exterior housing inspections without compromising the health and safety of our community or employees.
Safe Inspection Practices
To help facilitate safe inspection practices, residents are asked to adhere to the following guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- If anyone in or visiting your household has been diagnosed with COVID-19 or feels sick for any reason, let the owner/property manager know immediately so the inspection can be rescheduled with the city inspector.
- If the owner/property manager does not feel well for any reason, the inspection must be rescheduled. Let the city inspector know immediately by calling 319.248.1720.
- Social distancing of at least 6 feet must be maintained at all times.
- Anyone present during the inspection must wear a mask or face shield. If you choose not to wear a mask or face shield, or feel uncomfortable in the presence of others, you should excuse yourself during the inspection and wait outside the property. We encourage property managers/owners to work with their tenants to limit the need for any direct contact to complete the inspection process.
- Following the inspection if you have symptoms or are diagnosed with COVID-19, please contact the City of Coralville Housing Department at 319.248.1720 so we can be involved with contact tracing procedures.
Coralville inspection staff will be wearing masks.
Virtual Platforms Available
The housing inspector is also available on virtual platforms to assist in achieving compliance or handling questions.
Questions and comments may be directed to email Dawn Baker, Coralville Housing Inspector, or call 319.248.1720.
Residential Rental Property
All leased or rental residential property in Coralville requires a permit and must be registered with the City of Coralville Housing Program.
How to Register a Rental Property
To register a rental property, complete a Rental Housing Permit Application (see Resources below).
How to Renew a Rental Permit
All registered rental properties will receive a renewal notice with permit number during the month of November. Completed residential rental permit renewal applications and fees should be returned to the Coralville Building Department Office located at:
1512 7th St.
P.O. Box 5127
Coralville, IA 52241
Inspections of all rental units must be performed every three years. The City contacts the rental property owner to schedule the inspection.
Short Term Rental Property
The short term rental ordinance allows Coralville homeowners to apply for a permit to rent their property for less than 90 days at a time. Ordinance 2016-1018 went into effect in September 2016.
What is a Short Term Rental?
A “short term rental” is any property rented for less than 90 continuous days. Short term rental properties require a Rental Housing Permit (for the permit application, see the "Resources" tab below).
Can I rent my home as an Airbnb?
Renting your home for short stays, such as an Airbnb, is considered a "short term rental" and you need a Rental Housing Permit. If your property is under a homeowner's association (HOA) or condo owner's association, check to see if the covenants allow property rentals or restrict short term rentals.
Short term rentals of residential properties are allowed if:
- The property has a valid rental housing permit with the City and has passed rental inspection, and
- The unit is owner-occupied, and
- The owner is living on-site and is present the entire duration of the short term rental, and
- The owner pays hotel/motel tax for the first 30 days of the short term rental.
Under State law, cities may fine a property owner in violation of the ordinance a maximum of:
- $750 for first violation
- $1,000 per day the violation continues
Report a Concern
Report suspected rental housing licensing violations at 319.248.1720, at www.coralville.org/letusknow, or use “Report a Concern” on the City of Coralville app.
|Rental Type||Annual Fee|
|Condos (each unit has separate tax parcel #)||$50.00 per unit|
|Single Family Dwelling||$50.00|
|Duplex (one tax parcel #)||$50.00|
|4-Plex (one tax parcel #)||$67.00|
|8-Plex (one tax parcel #)||$99.00|
|12-Plex (one tax parcel #)||$131.00|
|CO-OP Complex||$50.00 per unit|
|Part 1: # of Commercial Buildings (with apartments)||$35.00 per commercial building|
|Part 2: # of Dwelling Units (total number of apartments)||$8.00 per apartment|