Aisle of Lights
Aisle of Lights
c/o City of Coralville
1512 7th St.
Coralville, IA 52241
Aisle of Lights
See how thousands of white paper sacks, each filled with sand and a votive candle, create a magical scene on a winter evening! Miles of luminarias are available for viewing by foot or car.
Aisle of Lights is held annually on the second Sunday in December. Area businesses and organizations often free host activities for all ages.
Aisle of Lights is only possible with community participation when residents and businesses light luminarias along their sidewalks in the evening. Coralville’s annual Aisle of Lights luminaria display began in 1980.
Sunday, December 10, 2023
Light luminarias on Sunday from 5:00 to 9:00 pm (see "Events" below for related activities).
Where to See Luminarias
1. Residents and businesses in Coralville are invited to light luminarias on their sidewalks
(see "Make Luminarias" below for more information). Would you like to invite your neighbors to light luminarias? Download and print our neighborhood invitation!
2. The City and community volunteers will light luminarias on:
- Holiday Road (1st Avenue to 12th Avenue)
- 12th Avenue (7th Street to Holiday Road)
- 7th Street (S.T. Morrison Park to 12th Avenue)
- 8th Street (S.T. Morrison Park to 12th Avenue)
- 5th Street (City Hall to the Library)
- Biscuit Creek trail from 5th Street to 6th Street (next to Old Town Hall, 407 5th St.)
- Coralville Veterans Memorial/Oak Hill Cemetery (300 luminarias for the 300 veterans buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, courtesy of the Coralville American Legion Auxiliary)
Where to See Holiday Lights & Displays
See a map of the community's favorite light displays at www.coralville.org/holidaylights throughout December.
Aisle of Lights is held snow or shine, and will not be rescheduled if the weather doesn't cooperate. In the event of wind, sleet, or rain, light luminarias as you are able.
Sand donated by Hawkeye Ready Mix.
Aisle of Lights Activities*
Friday, December 8, 2023
Free Community Meal
Coralville Recreation Center, 1506 8th St.
Coralville Parks and Recreation will host a free community meal, sponsored by the Coralville Community Food Pantry. Come for dinner and stay for the fun! Vegetarian options available. All are welcome.
Sunday, December 10, 2023
Open Houses in the Iowa River Landing
Iowa River Landing, E. 9th St. & Quarry Rd.
Horse-drawn carriage rides, activities, and Santa, oh my! Enjoy the festivities at holiday open houses at the IRL and finish your holiday shopping. Enjoy delightful goodies and explore the various holiday open houses at each of the IRL’s retail locations. Bring the family for pictures with Santa or enjoy a carriage ride before grabbing dinner and drinks in the IRL. Iowa River Landing holiday open houses
Coralville United Methodist Church, 806 13th Ave.
Enjoy a selection of homemade soups, bread or crackers, and plenty of delicious desserts to choose from. There is no charge, but free-will offerings to benefit the youth summer mission trip will be accepted. Please enter through the 14th Avenue parking lot entrance. Coralville UMC calendar
- Kids' Craft & Luminaria Decorating
"One Coralville, Bright Future" Community Displays
Fireside Shelter, S.T. Morrison Park, 1513 7th St.
Celebrate with organizations that help make Coralville a welcoming place to live!
- Bundle up and walk the luminaria displays at the south end of S.T. Morrison Park.
- Stop by Fireside Shelter to make crafts, enjoy hot chocolate and cookies by the fire, and decorate a luminaria with your wishes for 2024! Hot cocoa and cookies thanks to GreenState Credit Union.
- See the "One Coralville, Bright Future" displays on the west side of the Aquatic Center parking lot! These displays highlight some of the non-profit, cultural, and religious organizations that strengthen our community. Learn how these organizations celebrate the holidays, or discover what their organization is about and how the community can get involved. The City is seeking participating organizations to register by December 1. Details about the "One Coralville, Bright Future" community displays
- Stop by the fire pit warm-up station in the center of the west parking lot on the Coralville Community Aquatic Center
- Santa's Sleigh, Ice Sculpture, Reindeer, Music, & Treats
Coralville City Hall, 1512 7th St.
- See Santa's sleigh and enjoy treats, courtesy of GreenState Credit Union.
- 4:45-5:45 pm: Young Footliters teaching artists will lead a caroling / sing-along session.
- 5:00-6:00 pm: watch ice carver Ron Dillavou create an ice sculpture, and take your photo in an ice sculpture (ice sculptures will be available as temperatures allow), outside City Hall.
- Starting at 6:00 pm, see a live reindeer outside City Hall!
- 6:00-7:00 pm: Musical performance by Blake Shaw & Dan Padley inside City Hall.
Open House at Old Town Hall
Old Town Hall, 407 5th St.
Join the Johnson County Historical Society for refreshments, an activity, and exhibits at Old Town Hall. About Old Town Hall
Open House at The Big White House
The Big White House, 1246 12th Ave.
Warm up around the fireplace, enjoy hot drinks and cookies, and explore our renovated 1910 farmhouse. We'll also have live Christmas music with Joe Mattingly and the Holy Mountain Singers. All are welcome! Hosted by Genesis Church. About The Big White House
Light Show & Drive-Thru Hot Chocolate
Vetter's Culligan Water, 3414 Merchant St. (across from Theisens, and just west of Costco)
Stop by for Vetter's Culligan Water first Aisle of Lights holiday lights show! Vetter's staff will serve drive-thru hot chocolate. Free-will donations accepted; all donations go to the University of Iowa Stead Family Children's Hospital.
The University of Iowa Stead Family Children's Hospital has provided care for our community for many years and is very special to the entire Culligan family. Many of the children that are part of the Vetter's staffs' lives have been directly impacted by care that has been provided through the hospital, including care in the NICU and PICU. "The hospital has helped some of our greatest gifts to thrive. For this, and the future care that they will provide for our community and family, we are honored to provide donations to the hospital with our Holiday Light Show." Learn about Vetters Culligan light show and donate
Luminarias throughout Coralville
Light luminarias on your sidewalks and tour the twinkling lights!
*Events subject to change.
To be considered to be listed, events must relate to Aisle of Lights and be community-focused, open to the public and all ages, and free unless otherwise noted. Inclusion or links to organizations does not imply sponsorship or endorsement by the City. Contact individual organizers for information.
How to Make Luminarias
- Get free sacks and sand beginning Monday, December 4:
- Pick up sacks at Coralville City Hall (1512 7th St.) or the Coralville Recreation Center (1506 8th St.)
- Pick up sand at the Aquatic Center parking lot (1513 7th St.), adjacent to City Hall, in the west side of the lot; bring a container to transport sand.
- Buy votive candles.
- Place sacks, weighted with sand and a candle, along your sidewalks (roughly every third sidewalk square). Tip: Fold the top edge of the sack down for extra sturdiness.
- Light your candles by 5:00 pm on Sunday. Please clean up your luminarias by 9:00 am on Monday.
Available beginning December 4, 2023
Would you like to invite your neighbors to light luminarias? Download and print our handy neighborhood invitation!
View the twinkling lights throughout Coralville at your leisure (we suggest viewing the luminarias on 5th Street, 12th Avenue, and Holiday Road, as well as those placed by residents and businesses throughout Coralville).
Limited Bus Tours*
The City of Coralville provides a free wheelchair-accessible bus to tour the lights on Sunday, December 10, 2023.
- Capacity is limited, and space for all riders is not guaranteed. Each round is first come, first served.
- Departs from City Hall (1512 7th Street) at approximately 5:15 pm and 6:00 pm.
- Free and open to the public.