Operating a Business in Coralville

Business License

City of Coralville does not require a general business license. However, all businesses, including non-profit organizations, are required to obtain a Occupancy and Zoning Compliance Certificate from the City of Coralville to operate.

Certificate of Occupancy & Zoning Compliance

A Certificate of Occupancy and Zoning Compliance is required for any new structure, existing structures, and for any change in use. It certifies that at the time of issuance, the structure was in compliance with the ordinances regulating building construction or use, and conformed with the City Zoning Ordinance and Building Codes.

The Certificate of Occupancy and Zoning Compliance is necessary even if a building permit is not required when a change in use has occurred. Please contact the Community Development Department at 319.248.1720.

Apply for a Certificate of Occupancy and Zoning Compliance

Building Information

New construction, remodeling, or relocating a business requires submitting construction plan drawings and an application in order to obtain a building permit. Through plan review and on-site inspections, a building permit ensures that new and remodel construction complies with the adopted building and fire codes and with all safety and maintenance requirements.

Learn about building permits

Home Based Business

Home businesses are allowed in single-family and two-family residential districts, provided:
  • No more than 20% of the total floor area of the home is utilized for the home business, and
  • No advertising sign is used that exceeds two (2) square feet. 
  • No more than one (1) person works in the home that does not reside in the home.
Home-based businesses are intended to allow for services that do not impact the enjoyment and residential character of a neighborhood.  Retail, yard signs, and outdoor storage are prohibited. 

Apply for a Home-Based Business Provisional Use Permit

Fire Safety Permit

Coralville City Ordinance 2008-1011 requires any business in the City of Coralville to have an annual fire safety permit. Contact the Coralville Fire Department at 319.248.1835 to obtain a permit application.

Sign Permit

A sign permit is required for the installation of all signage.

Learn about sign permits

Zoning & Land Use

General Information

When looking for a business location, contact the Community Development Department at 319.248.1720 to verify and obtain general zoning and land use information and allowable uses in various zoning districts. 

Zoning Map

The zoning map for Coralville is a layer on the Johnson County Property Information Viewer. To view this layer within the map, click on “Layer List,” and check both the boxes for “Zoning (Some Cities)” and “Coralville.” 

View zoning map

Zoning Map clicks