Clear Creek Trail - Phases 6 & 7
Clear Creek Trail to Extend to Tiffin
The Clear Creek Trail currently runs south of Highway 6 along Clear Creek for 4.3 miles. The trail will be extended an additional 1.9 miles from east of Deer Creek Road to Creekside Ballpark, then on to connect with Tiffin's Clear Creek Trail west of I-380.
After work is complete, the 1.9 mile section of trail will feature:
- 10' wide paved trail
- Two bridge crossings over Clear Creek
- Multiple crossings under interstate bridges
- Connection to Tiffin's Clear Creek Trail
- Received $1,112,600 in federal funds
- Bid in January 2018
- Low bid: $1,758,552.84 (Iowa Bridge and Culvert of Washington, Iowa)
- Start: March 2018
- Estimated trail opening: The timeline for this project has been impacted by changes to the I-80/I-380 interchange bridge construction schedule. The trail may open in 2019, but future trail closures related to the I-80/I-380 interchange construction will be necessary. Connections under I-80 and I-380 will not be made until at least 2021.
- The bridge east of Deer Creek Road and the pedestrian bridge north of I-80 are substantially complete, but are not yet open because the connecting trails are not complete.
- Paving planned for the trail segment from the end of the existing trail to Coralville Creekside Ballpark was delayed in fall 2018 due to weather.
- Trail work is scheduled to continue in spring 2019:
- The highest priority is completing the trail segment from east of Deer Creek Road to Creekside Ballpark. This includes the extension toward I-80 but will stop before the I-80 right of way to avoid impact by the I-80/I-380 interchange project. The trail connection to Creekside Ballpark will open as soon as it is safe to do so.
- The second priority is completing the trail segment between I-80 and I-380.
- Trail work north of I-80 involves crossing under multiple I-80 and I-380 bridges.
- Once the trail opens, the trail segment between I-80 and I-380 will be closed on a temporary basis due to the I-80/I-380 interchange project. View the trail alignment relative to the interchange project limits (PDF).
- The connections under the I-80 and I-380 bridges will likely not be made until 2021 at the earliest due to the I-80/I-380 interchange construction.