5th Street Social
Celebrate the End of Summer
Celebrate the end of summer with a block party on 5th Street! Coralville's 5th Street Social features music, food, local brews, children’s activities, and a classic car show and shine.
This annual event began in 2016 and is held on a Saturday in early August.
5th Street Social 2019
Saturday, August 10, 2019
Time: 4:00-10:00 pm
Location: 5th Street, between 6th Avenue & 12th Avenue
Map: View 5th Street Social maps (PDF)
Things to Do
Fun for Everyone
Enjoy Nine Square in the Air, giant Jenga, giant tic tac toe, bags games (cornhole), and chalk art.
Main Stage (5th Street and 8th Avenue)
- 4:00-6:45 pm: Dogs on Skis
- 7:15-10:00 pm: New Trick
- 5:00-6:15 pm: Central Standard Time
- 6:45-8:00 pm: New Dawn
Food & BrewsFood Vendors
The Box Lunch, Maestro’s Empanadas, Marco’s Grilled Cheese, Mosley’s Barbecue, Tap N' Tacos, Tiny Town, and Tip Top Cakes.
Featuring craft beer for $5 for a 12-14 ounce pour from four Johnson County craft breweries (no cup charge; cups provided). IDs checked. Cash only. Due to state law, alcoholic beverages must remain in the beverage garden.
Kona Ice Party & Coralville Community Food Pantry Open House
Enjoy music and Kona Ice at the corner of 5th Street and 10th Avenue, and tour the Food Pantry. Proceeds benefit the Food Pantry.
At the Classy Chassy Cruisers Show N Shine, see classic cars parked on 5th Street (9th Avenue to 12th Avenue). Car owners check in at 10th Avenue and 5th Street to park.
Kids' Zone4:00-8:00 pm
Free fun for kids!
- Bounce house
- Brown’s School of Martial Arts
- Brush & Barrel painting activity
- Coralville Public Library
- Craft booth: slap bracelets with the Coralville Recreation Center
- Face painting* (*for a small fee to benefit West High cheerleading; located by the Coralville Food Pantry)
- Giant Jenga game
- Inflatable obstacle course
- McDonald’s "Spin the Wheel" & bags for the kids
- "Not a Box" party with the Iowa Children's Museum
- See a fire truck and a police car
- Sidewalk chalk
- West Music instrument petting zoo
Art VendorsLocal art vendors will be selling their creations.
Business Open Houses
Visit 5th Street businesses along 5th Street Social, with prize drawings and specials throughout the evening.
Street Closures & No-Parking Areas
The following street closures are scheduled for the day of the event:
- 5th Street closed to through traffic between 6th Avenue and 12th Avenue beginning at noon.
- 7th Avenue, 8th Avenue, and 9th Avenue have local access only south of 6th Street beginning at noon.
- Signs indicating no-parking areas on 5th Street in the event area are placed prior to the street closures. Watch for posted signs to avoid being ticketed and towed.
- Free Parking: On the south side of 808 on 5th, on area streets as permitted, and in the Town Center parking ramp the corner of 5th Street and 12th Avenue (adjacent to the Coralville Public Library and the Coralville Center for the Performing Arts).
- Handicapped Parking: On the west side of 6th Avenue at the corner of 5th Street and 6th Avenue.
- Bike Racks: At the east event entrance at 6th Avenue and 5th Street. Additional bike racks are located at the Coralville Public Library and on the north side of the Coralville Center for the Performing Arts. A pedestrian/bike path intersects at 5th Street just east of the 1876 Schoolhouse.
Due to street closures, Coralville Transit will make the following change to the Saturday route on the day of the event:
- After 11:40 am, buses will not stop at #4360 (5th Street and 8th Avenue); the bus will pick up passengers along 6th Street at intersections, and at the intersection of 6th Avenue and 5th Street.
- Route changes and road closures will make predicted bus arrival times on Bus on the Go (Bongo, www.bongo.org) for the Saturday route inaccurate during the rerouting, however, the real-time maps on Bongo with actual bus locations will be accurate and should be used to located buses. For bus routes and schedules, contact Coralville Transit at 319.248.1790.
Pets are not permitted at the event. Service animals are allowed.
Smoking is not allowed.
Seating & Outside Food/Drink
No outside food or drink, including alcoholic beverages, may be brought to the event. Lawn chairs are permitted in designated areas.
5th Street Social is presented by the City of Coralville and is sponsored in part by Hills Bank and Trust Company, 808 on Fifth, GreenState Credit Union, West Bank, and Coldwell Banker Real Estate Professionals.
Volunteers are needed to help check IDs, serve craft brews, monitor entrances, supervise the kids' zone, and set up and tear down.
Sign up to volunteer
A portion of the proceeds benefits the Coralville Parks and Recreation Youth Scholarship Fund, which provides funding for every child in Coralville to learn to swim, play sports, and participate in other recreation activities; and the Coralville Playground Fund, which is dedicated to building exploration, curiosity, physical development, and social development in children.