E. 9th Street
E. 9th Street Enhancements: 1st Avenue to Quarry Road
This project will enhance the E. 9th Street corridor with the addition of landscaped center medians, new north-south crosswalks, curb bump outs to establish parallel parking areas, completion of the brick paver streetscape along the south side of E. 9th Street, and conversion of the E. 9th Street & E. 2nd Avenue intersection into a four-leg roundabout.
The project will be completed in two phases.
Phase 1: Mid October-November 22, 2019
Construction on this stretch of E. 9th Street includes
- Two raised center medians west of E. 2nd Avenue. The two medians will create a dedicated eastbound left turn lane onto Ponseti Way.
- Southerly halves of two north-south crosswalks.
- Curb bump outs and select brick paver replacement along the south side of E. 9th Street, east of E. 2nd Avenue, to better define the parallel parking stalls.
- New driveway just west of the current driveway used by both the Johnson County Historical Society and the Antique Car Museum of Iowa. The driveway will extend along the east side of Xtream Arena. The museum parking lot will connect to this driveway when it is complete.
- E. 9th Street traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction with no on-street parking.
- Traffic will run head-to-head on the north half of E. 9th Street between Ponseti Way and Quarry Road.
- A short eastbound left turn lane will be provided at Ponseti Way.
- A new STOP sign will be installed on westbound E. 9th Street at Ponseti Way to minimize the possibility of eastbound traffic backing up into 1st Avenue.
From November 23, 2019, until April 1, 2020, all lanes on E. 9th Street are scheduled to be open.
Phase 2: April 1, 2020, to July 22, 2020
- Two raised center medians east of E. 2nd Avenue.
- Remainder of north-south crosswalks.
- Curb bump outs and select brick paver replacement along the north side of E. 9th Street, east of E. 2nd Avenue, to better define the parallel parking stalls.
- Pedestrian streetscape (brick pavers, street trees, etc.) along entire south side of E. 9th Street to mirror the existing north side streetscape.
- Roundabout at E. 9th Street & E. 2nd Avenue.
- E. 9th Street will be reduced to one lane in each direction between Ponseti Way and Quarry Road with NO on-street parking east of E. 2nd Avenue until early July.
- Sign up for e-news alerts ("Construction and Traffic Updates" category)
- Like City of Coralville, Iowa on Facebook
- Follow the City of Coralville, Iowa on Twitter
- Join Nextdoor (a private social network for Coralville neighborhoods)
- Pay attention to construction message boards during construction
- Check local news for media releases
Lane reductions are scheduled from October 14-November 22 Read on...
Trail between the Iowa River Power Restaurant parking lot & E. 7th Street/Quarry Road intersection closed until further notice Read on...