E. 9th Street
E. 9th Street Improvements: 1st Avenue to Quarry Road
This project will enhance the E. 9th Street corridor with the addition of landscaped center medians, new north-south crosswalks, curb bump outs to establish parallel parking areas, completion of the brick paver streetscape along the south side of E. 9th Street, and conversion of the E. 9th Street & E. 2nd Avenue intersection into a four-leg roundabout.
The project will be completed in two phases.
Phase 1: Mid October-December 2019 (Complete)
Construction on this stretch of E. 9th Street include
- Two raised center medians west of E. 2nd Avenue. The two medians create a dedicated eastbound left turn lane onto Ponseti Way.
- Southerly halves of two north-south crosswalks.
- Curb bump outs and select brick paver replacement along the south side of E. 9th Street, east of E. 2nd Avenue, to better define the parallel parking stalls.
- New driveway just west of the current driveway used by both the Johnson County Historical Society and the Antique Car Museum of Iowa. The driveway extends along the east side of Xtream Arena. The museum parking lot will connect to this driveway.
Phase 2: March 16, 2020, to July 22, 2020
- Two raised center medians east of E. 2nd Avenue.
- Additional north-south crosswalks.
- Curb bump outs and select brick paver replacement along the north side of E. 9th Street, east of E. 2nd Avenue, to establish parallel parking areas and shorten crosswalk distances.
- Pedestrian streetscape (brick pavers, street trees, etc.) along the south side of E. 9th Street to mirror the existing north side streetscape.
- Roundabout at E. 9th Street & E. 2nd Avenue.
- E. 9th Street will have one lane open in each direction at all times between Ponseti Way and Quarry Road.
- No on-street parking east of E. 2nd Avenue until early July.
- Pedestrian access is provided along the north side of E. 9th Street.
- Access to businesses and residences in the Iowa River Landing will be maintained.
E. 7th Street between 1st Avenue & Quarry Road Is Open
Note on the E. 7th Street roundabout:
- As with any roundabout, drivers must yield to their LEFT before entering a roundabout.
- Watch for construction traffic passing through this roundabout with material and equipment heading to and from the Arena project.
- Sign up for e-news alerts ("Construction and Traffic Updates" category)
- Like City of Coralville, Iowa on Facebook
- Follow the City of Coralville, Iowa on Twitter
- Join Nextdoor (a private social network for Coralville neighborhoods)
- Pay attention to construction message boards during construction
- Check local news for media releases
E. 9th Street will have one lane open in each direction at all times; E. 7th Street provides additional access to and from the Iowa River Landing Read on...