E. 9th Street
E. 9th Street Improvements: 1st Avenue to Quarry Road
This two-phase project enhances the E. 9th Street corridor with the addition of landscaped center medians, new north-south crosswalks, curb bump outs to establish parallel parking areas, completion of the brick paver streetscape along the south side of E. 9th Street, and conversion of the E. 9th Street & E. 2nd Avenue intersection into a four-leg roundabout.
Phase 1: Mid October-December 2019 (Complete)
Construction on this stretch of E. 9th Street included:
- Two raised center medians west of E. 2nd Avenue to create a dedicated eastbound left turn lane onto Ponseti Way.
- Southerly halves of two north-south crosswalks.
- Curb bump outs and select brick paver replacement along the south side of E. 9th Street, east of E. 2nd Avenue, to better define the parallel parking stalls.
- New driveway just west of the current driveway used by both the Johnson County Historical Society and the Antique Car Museum of Iowa. The driveway extends along the east side of Xtream Arena. The museum parking lot will connect to this driveway.
Phase 2: March-August 2020
- A sculptural element will be installed within the roundabout central island, but the design and timeframe for installation have not been determined yet.
Another route into the Iowa River LandingE. 7th Street between 1st Avenue & Quarry Road
- As with any roundabout, drivers must yield to their LEFT before entering a roundabout.
- Watch for construction traffic passing through this roundabout with material and equipment heading to and from the Arena project.
- Sign up for e-news alerts ("Construction and Traffic Updates" category)
- Like City of Coralville, Iowa on Facebook
- Follow the City of Coralville, Iowa on Twitter
- Join Nextdoor (a private social network for Coralville neighborhoods)
- Pay attention to construction message boards during construction
- Check local news for media releases
Ireland Avenue to I-80 eastbound on-ramp will be closed to traffic for up to two months beginning August 3; travel on and off I-80 westbound is not affected by this closure Read on...