- Animal Control
- Urban Chickens
Raising Backyard Chickens in CoralvilleIn November 2020, the City Council passed Ordinance 2020-1012 allowing residents to keep up to six chickens (no roosters) in Coralville. The City implemented a permitting process and began accepting permit applications in spring 2021.
Do Not Keep Chickens Without A Permit
Residents should not keep chickens before obtaining a permit. Residents may only keep chickens after their permit has been approved. Those who obtain chickens before permit approval will be issued a municipal citation.
Permit RequiredA permit is required raise or keep chickens within Coralville. To make sure that prospective chicken owners are prepared:
- There are rules and regulations to obtain a permit.
- There are requirements about where and how you can keep chickens in Coralville.
- You must take a class about raising urban chickens.
- A property inspection is a required part of the permit process.
How to Apply
- Read and understand the Urban Chicken Ordinance (PDF).
- Successfully complete the required training class about raising urban chickens. You must show proof of completion when you apply for a permit. There are two options to take this class:
- Indian Creek Nature Center, 5300 Otis Road SE, Cedar Rapids, IA; 319.362.0664. Indian Creek Nature Center Urban Chickens class
- Iowa State University Extension and Outreach: ISU Extension Backyard Chickens eCourse
- Apply to get a permit and pay the permit fee, in addition to a one-time fee for leg bands. There are rules and regulations to get a permit. Complete the Urban Chicken Permit Application (PDF)
Chicken Leg Bands
All chickens are required to wear numbered leg bands for identification purposes.
- Leg bands cost $5 per chicken.
- Leg bands may be purchased when you apply or renew your chicken permit.
- Replacement leg bands may be purchased separately if a band is lost or damaged OR if a chicken is sold, deceased, etc.
- Residents may keep a maximum of 6 chickens and 6 leg bands.
Get Replacement Bands
1. Apply online for a replacement band
2. Mail check or money order to:
Attn: Chicken Permits
Coralville Police Department
PO Box 5911
Coralville, IA 52241
3. Leg bands will be mailed within 1-2 business days after the payment is received.
|$25.00||Permit application fee|
|$5.00||Chicken ID leg band (price per band; 1 band per chicken)|